My friend Amy is a doctor so I took a chance that she may be available and we made plans to spend the day together.
I drove to pick Amy up at the VA hospital at noon:45. She'd been working since 6 that morning. Fuck.
When I was waiting for her, I saw a squirrel get hit by a car. He did not die. The irony was, he was in the crosswalk. He dashed across the street and slammed right into the tire of an on-coming van. Like a cartoon would do, he shook his head back and forth and then scampered across the rest of the street only flatter.
Amy was cheerful despite her long work hours as we drove to the Promenade.
We window-shopped, which I have an incredible endurance for. After a couple of hours, Amy seemed spent.
We got our make-up done at MAC. I loved what my lady did- mostly the change when she filled in my brows - I must try to master it myself.
After four hours together, Amy went home and I was left across town in Friday rush hour traffic.
I was out of things to do and getting hungry, so I resigned myself to the 10 freeway. It took 19 minutes from the the beginning of the on-ramp at fourth street until my wheels hit the actual freeway. Desperate for an alternative, I chose the phone a friend option.
Our former neighbor and friend I miss very much, Stephanie, popped into my head. (That's her on the right)
"I know this is last minute, but is there any chance you are available last minute on a Friday night?"
She was! We both giggled and squealed as I made my way back to Venice to pick her up. I had not seen her since we moved, but I always meant to.
Steph and I parked at her house and walked to Abbot Kinney. We decided to try a new tasting room - El Vino. David educated us on Portugal and poured generous sips. (That is David on the left)
MJC agreed to meet us across town. We did not have dinner until close to 10 pm - We put our name down at Library, but then gambled Rick's would have a
MJC agreed to meet us across town. We did not have dinner until close to 10 pm - We put our name down at Library, but then gambled Rick's would have a
much shorter wait. Sure enough we got a table...and a delicious Rick's cheese burger - just like old times.
Our table faced a mirror so I entertained MJC and Steph with my impression of a hyena running (which as it sounds is actually more strange than funny) It's mostly an intense shifting of the shoulders while the rest of my torso stays still) Side note, this hyena move is also based on my favorite song for running of all time - MIA "Bambo Banga". The lyrics are:
I'm knocking on the doors of your Hummer Humma (repeat)
Yeah were hungry like the wolves hunting dinner dinner
And were moving with the packs like Hyena, Yena
Which just makes me feel like I am an animal in a pack (which oddly again, motivates my running).
It was a last minute plan that fell into place - but I could not have planned a better night.
1 comment:
SO I looked back at your old blog and found that you seem to have completed 10-11 of your list of 50. Well done!
Post a Comment