Saturday, June 14, 2008

*D*R*E*A*M*

I had the strangest dream last night. I was in and out of the dream all night. I'd felt terrible just before I went to bed so I would sleep and dream then wake-up and feel guilty and sad then fall asleep again.

Anyway, at the beginning of the dream there was some kind of an earthquake that I did not feel, but you could see the walls of the building (it was at work) buckling and cracking*. I kept asking everyone what was going on and if they noticed but no one seemed to. Then I tried to leave and the whole front of the building had collapsed down so that it was almost like a front porch with a crawl space of a feet of so of space to crawl out from. I wriggled on my belly feeling suffocated and terrified the space would get tighter. It did. I was turning from side to side to try to find a path big enough for me to escape from. I was blinking my eyes to try to see because it was dusk and I was under rubble. When I first got a clear line of sight, I realized there were dozens of cobras** (I think) around me. I escaped unscathed and looked for my car to get home.

Once in the car, the electronics were not working. The streets were filled with people running into the middle of them as I tried to drive. Several times I had to slam on my breaks to avoid hitting them and my brakes were not being responsive. The car also kept turning off and I would have to restart it in traffic and hope no one hit me.

I was up at 10 to 5 a.m. just laying there considering the dream and everything from the day before when I realized my eyes would not drift back to sleep. I went out to the couch ad watched a half hour of television before I felt confident I could make sleep happen. By then, the sun was beginning to rise.

As I fell back into the dream in the early morning. Post-disaster havoc continued for several "days" and got progressively more frightening until suddenly I realized that I was willing all of these things to happen. The fears that I was focusing on were coming true. With the people running in the street, I was scared to hit someone and then the breaks would fail. I cant remember clearly how I realized the benefit, but there was some sort of a moment where I said to myself 'I wish I could' whatever it was and then I did. This would be a much better story of I could remember more about the fun part, but alas I woke up for good and lost the memory as I started to rehash yesterday, blink my eyes awake and think about coffee.


* I am frequently nervous about the structure where I work.
** There was a story on the news a few nights ago about a snake inside a baby's mattress, which escaped and coiled around the infant's leg.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers