Sunday, January 27, 2008

Back to black

Okay, it's not black, but I am certainly not the sunny blond I was yesterday morning.

I needed a change. I had been thinking about doing something different with my hair for a while, but I was not sure what -I just did not like what I had. Still not sure at the beginning of my hair appointment yesterday I'd been working with the vague idea to go a few shades darker. I had some pictures ranging from strawberry blond to warm brown with blond highlights in the fashion of Jessica Biel.What I got was much closer to chocolate, which delicious as it is, was not my desired effect. Since I have not washed it yet, I think it will tone down but I am certainly appropriately concerned.

The back story was my questionable decision two Christmas' ago to emulate Reese Witherspoon's raven locks in Walk the Line, which ended with terrifying Gothic results and an even more terrifying transition back to blond.
I parted ways with my stylist at the time because of this tragedy. My hair looked inky. I tried getting used to it for maybe two months but every time I passed a mirror I was surprised by my reflection. I felt like I was in costume.
My stylist was concerned to bleach my hair back because of the damage risk - a concern we'd not discussed when putting the color on. She actually refused to do anything but add highlights. She added what looked to be pink and white highlights that almost made me weep when I saw the end result. I looked like I had doll's hair.

This is not that.

However, I am (as I said) appropriately concerned and wondering where my pictures of light brown at the darkest failed me. I am remembering the event - talking it through in the chair - and thinking okay, maybe I was in a fog and as I was reviewing the pictures of dark blonds I was actually saying in hypnotic under my breath tones- "Whatever you do, don't give me this. These pictures I am showing you are to be ignored. I am *really* thinking mahogany. Do you get what I am saying? Nod if you understand me."

And the new stylist must have nodded.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers