MJC and I got into his car and there was stuff strewn all over the seat. It took us both a second to piece together the familiar scene. Someone had broken into MJC's car and tried to steal it. This happened 4 months ago. The car was parked in a different spot - in our apparently ghetto-like neighborhood. I am so mad I could scream. Why us? We don't have nice cars. Yet, this is the third time we've been broken into in three years. And I don't feel sorry for whoever the SOB that broke in was. What makes his life more important than mine? He must have been feeling desperate that he would have to go to such measures but then someone has to pay for the damages. So, the people who try hard and follow the rules get punished and have to pay for his mistakes. Literally.
And the guy could not even steal it - if this is your profession- at least pursue excellence!
The worst part is when we called the police the last two times they took a report and teased us when we asked if they were coming over to fingerprint or something. I envision some chubby desk-assigned cop leaning back in his chair and pantomiming filling out a police report then pantomiming throwing it over his shoulder and into the trash and then celebrating the fact that he made the shot and high-fiveing his buddies.
Are we then to assume that although we pay for police to enforce the law, that attempted car theft and actual car theft is okay so long as you are not caught in the act. To think of how much time I have spent in my thirty years being worried about getting in trouble for stupid crap like forgetting appointments or saying I would do something I did not feel like doing and therefore doing whatever it was or calling and apologizing when really I COULD STEAL A CAR IF I WANTED - BREAK THE LAW - AND NOT EVEN GET IN TROUBLE FOR THAT.
The especially clever thing our theif did is choose to break in on the weekend of Veteran's Day. We've listened to several delightful messages from our insurance company wishing us a lovely holiday and letting us know all claims would be handled with in one to two business days.
1 comment:
My clever mother INSISTED that the police take fingerprints. But she had to convince them that she had washed her car, driven right home, and parked it in her garage, locked. The perp had used some high tech device to get her program for the door opener, and came in after she went into her house. The bottom line is they caught her. Yes, her. Not a particularly ghetto neighborhood.
Post a Comment