Sometimes things don't resolve themselves the way you hoped, but in a different direction than you thought you wanted - things turn out better. I'd been feeling broken-hearted that my maid of honor and I were not talking. When we finally talked I realized a lot all at once.
First, I realized I was feeling really low after the wedding because I'd twisted up so much of my self-esteem into the wedding. I worked for over a year to plan a day - not because I wanted a perfect wedding to impress other people, but because of what I wanted our wedding to represent. I wanted it to be reflective of our personalities, celebrate our friends and families who love us, and looked beautiful within a budget. After it was over, there was a gap in time, emotions, expectations, and in things to expect.
One of the decisions I thought I'd made well was over the wedding party. I think part of me thought if I could honor my old friends by including them in the wedding, I could keep them close to me. In thinking about who what my closest friendships were I thought about the length of the friendships rather than proximity or depth.
What I realized after speaking with my maid of honor tonight was that although my LA friendships are not as old, the people I see most often - TRK and Jean Marie love me and accept me in a way that is impossible to do from a distance. I am so thankful for them both. The revelation was that all the energy I was spending to keep far away friendships close to the heart, was energy I could be spending on the people who give me their energy everyday.
After a long teary conversation, I felt more clear.
More than depression, I think my self-esteem is the problem right now. I lost some of it whole being so focused on what everyone else's assessment of me was during the wedding planning. Now to figure out where to find it again...
No comments:
Post a Comment