I've been sketching out nursery ideas for our little sweet-potato-almost-mango when I had a sudden fit of inspiration this morning:Eloise.
When I was little I adored Eloise and her adventures at the Plaza hotel. Eloise is perpetually six, so perhaps this is a bit sophisticated for our little girl-to-be, but bear with me.
MJC insists on white furniture for our nursery. White furniture can go a few ways, ranging from tacky, coated plywood to Shabby Chic so I am a little on the fence. However, MJC feels dark wood (all of our furniture throughout the house) looks Indian (dots not feathers) - whatever that means. I'm not offended by it because I think it's an adorably strange bias, so we are going with white.
Right now, the baby-to-be's room is painted mint green. Mint and white would look lovely with chocolate accents, but might be too masculine for our little lady. My childhood nursery was yellow and green, but when I could choose my own color I picked a perfectly saturated rose pink wallpaper with little white dots. Initially, I did not want to saddle our child with traditional pink, but let's face it, 90% of little girls like pink.
As I scan the Internet for inspiration, I am dismayed. Most pink leaves me with a sickening feeling, like overindulging in cotton candy and then looking for a Pepto-Bismol solution. My mom would call these nurseries namby-pamby. I just call them offensive. They are for little girls that eat exclusively fruit roll-ups and Coco Puffs and only play with plastic toys.
Back to Eloise, she lives at the Plaza, an environment suited for both adults and children of taste like little Eloise. When I look to the cover of my own Eloise book, I am greeted with lovely pink striped wall paper which is both suited as a backdrop to the child and perfectly sophisticated. Adding a chandelier would give our nursery a touch of girly drama as well as a dimmable light source- something I'm told is important for tykes. And look at that white mantle! White furniture can look architectural. I could add black and white accents- stimulating for infants, and some gold-framed photos. Wouldn't that be cute?
I'm only blogging a second entry because MJC insists he does not wake up before 8 on the weekends - 7 more minutes!
2 comments:
I felt the same way you did about pink, but there are so many pinks! And stripes, and dots, and ... I love chocolate brown and pink, and maybe a lot of other people do too, based on my Grandmothers Inc. shopping sorties. But white is perfect with everything, and very Princess-esque. And clean, and bright. How exciting to plan for.
As I remember the Plaza (the last time I stayed there was concurrent with a UE board meeting in the early 1990s) - there is a lot of dark wood in the place. I suspect what you really want is the book not the hotel.
Post a Comment