Alas, I have given up caffeine for our little lemon (almost orange). At first I switched to decaf, but when the acidity of coffee turned too much for a sensitive digestive track we switched to cocoa as a morning warm beverage. Cocoa is a nice special occasion beverage, but it's an extraordinarily sweet way to begin a day.
However, after my last morning doctor's appointment I was lured into the organized hustle and bustle of the Starbucks across the street from the hospital. The thick sweet of a hot chocolate did not appeal so what to order?
I stepped to the counter and ordered a Sugar free Nonfat Hazelnut Latte, hold the espresso and no one blinked an eye. "Grande Skinny Hazelnut Steamer," the barista called to the bar.
And there I had it, my new pregnancy beverage of choice, a Steamer. An ironic choice for a woman taking an iron supplement.
2 comments:
Soo, in my infinite wisdom derived from being 15 weeks beyond you in these, our first pregnancies, this is what I have gathered about the whole caffeine issue, from my midwife, the Internets, and other pregnant & formerly pregnant people, and maybe it'll help you: Up to 300 mgs of caffeine a day is OK after the first 14 weeks of pregnancy.
That's the equivalent of 2 cups of coffee, three 20-oz Cokes, not sure how much chocolate...or almost 4 shots of espresso. Whee! I was so happy when I found that out. I don't need 4 shots of espresso, I only need one! (80 mgs) Also, most decaf coffees are processed with formaldehyde, so a bit of caffeine is preferable to a bit of formaldehyde.
I've been having 3 or 4 single-shot Americanos a week (that is, only one a day, 3 or 4 times a week). It's really heavenly. I didn't even know how much I missed that smell, that flavor, that rich warmth, till I indulged a few times. Mmmm.
Btw, Starbucks coffee & espresso apparently has more caffeine than other brands, so since a single shot of espresso has only 1/2 the caffeine of an 8-oz cup of coffee, I definitely have an Americano (not coffee) when I go there.
That is all.
I think I gave up coffee when I was pregnant, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I really like the whole ambience of coffee, taste, smell, etc, more than the actual coffee. It is always a chance to sit down, even for one moment, and take stock of things. Take a breath. And that's important.
Post a Comment