Shazam is my current most favorite iPhone application because it's made for me - a lover of music and a forgetter of even my most favorite song titles, most of which I never knew in the first place. How many times have I found myself in a little boutique, captively listening to the store's soundtrack, selected by the heavily tattoed and far cooler-than-me store employee? If I even get the courage to ask what the song playing is called before it's over, the usual response is nothing more than a clueless, disgusted grunt.
Then came TAG NOW. Quick as I can, I unholster my hot pink encased iPhone, slide to unlock the screen and find Shazam. Oh la la! Tag now. Within a moment, blue arrows encircle my screen, telling me it's working on my request, and then within just a few more seconds I have it: artist, song title, and album name! Sometimes I can even click to download it on iTunes. What genius invented this application and how could they possibly give it away for FREE?
Here are MY TAGS:
1) "I'm not over" Carolina Liar - tagged Jan 15, 2009 1:08 pm while driving to lunch with my coordinator to demonstrate the app being the coolest thing ever.
2) "Eye Know" De La Soul - tagged while getting gelato at Pazzo Gelato in Los Feliz (best ever gelato) Jan 18, 2009 4:11 pm
Songs 3- 13 -tagged Mar 20 7:55 am- 8:16 am while looking at the Whitley Kros website, falling in love with every song on her website's iPod
3) "The Robots" Senor Coconut Y Su Conjunto
4) "Someone Great (Cris Coco)" LCD Soundsystem
5) "If I Gave You A Party" Syrup
6) "Moogie Wonderland" Stereolab
7) "Can You Do That Dance?" The Pink Mountaintops
8) "You Turn To Run" Malaria
9) "Bati Mon Nid" Francoise Hardy
10) "I'm Waiting For The Man" The Velvet Underground
11) "D.A.N.C.E" Justice
12) "Frisco bay" Electronicat
13) "Walking With A Ghost" Tegan & Sara
14) "Boom Boom Pow" Black Eyed Peas - tagged Mar 27, 2009 7:24 am, turning left onto the street where I work, feeling instantly energized from a new song on the radio.
15) "A Hard Rain's Gonna Fall"- Bob Dylan - tagged Apr 22, 2009 9:12 pm - MJC and I pulled into the parking lot behind our apartment building 2 days before we moved. We were talking about the house, and us, and feeling excited and nervous and making lists of to-dos, feeling happy and this song came on the radio and suddenly my mood changed to wistful and I wanted to cry because I was missing my mom and dad so much. I told MJC I hope they know how much I love them - I hope I'm a good enough daughter - and I tagged the song so I would know what was playing in what already seemed like one of those small moments you never forget.
16) "I Know You Got Soul" Bobby Byrd - tagged May 15,2009 4:10 pm- tagged on my furlough Friday, I'd planned to see Trace and the girls but Trace was sick and all of the sudden, my afternoon was just mine and I was not sure to do with it. I turned on Ellen, feeling sad, and this is the song she danced to stage too - infectiously cheerful!
17) "Care" Kaada - Tagged Jun 4, 2009 9:12 am - headed to the doctor's office for a follow-up appointment because of the concussion. It was a muggy and sunny and gloomy day and I was dizzy. I was listening to Morning Becomes Eclectic on NPR and realized I'd been zoning out, not actually listening until suddenly I was aware of this creepy music, which certainly fit my mood.I was about to be told I would not go back to work for at least 8 more days.
18) "Candy Man Blues" Mississippi Hur - tagged Jun 12, 2009 8:32 pm - driving home from dinner with MJC in South Pas, listening to NPR and missing my dad.
19) "I'm in Miami Bitch" LMFAO Feat. Pitbull - tagged Jun 19, 2009 10:09 am in my office - all of the sudden my coworkers were dancing - "I love this song!" "Ooh! Me too!"
"What is it?" I asked as I tagged it.
20) "Yes, I'm Ready" Barbara Mason - tagged Jun 20, 2009 2:58 pm, driving to meet our new dog, Laramie, happy - MJC said, "I love this song, who sings it?" I asked Shazam.
Even though I didn't tag it, one last share - My new favorite CD is Phoenix -Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix.
3 comments:
You are a wonderful, sensitive daughter. I do love you very much, and I love that Bob Dylan song. Yesterday, right after I hung up with you, I heard the Chasing Cars song, by I think Snow Patrol, and I always think of you and Michael when I hear that, because I first heard it around the time of you wedding.
They do know.
A couple of other comments - Mississippi John Hurt was one of my favorites. I saw him several times at the Ashgrove. It is unclear whether he or the Rev. Gary Davis (I actually played with him in the UCLA Folk Festival in 1963) did Candyman better. I think I used to sing the Dylan song to you when you were little - although Dylan did it better. I like Shazam also - although it is not as good at Classical as other genres.
Post a Comment