Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Dogstructions

Dear Kelly,

 

Thank you so much for taking care of Indy this weekend! MJC and I (mostly I) was really worried about what to do with him while we are away. Keep in mind, I’ve never had my own pet before AND I had no idea I would love Indy so much so quickly, so I realize it may be a little paranoid to leave you a list of instructions. Just imagine what I’ll be like as a mom and feel sorry for MJC. J

 

Indy information:

1)      We do not have a vet or emergency vet yet, so I would say try to avoid any emergencies if at all possible.

 

2)      Indy has not been vaccinated for rabies yet – they could not give him that shot while he was recovering from being neutered. I’m a little terrified our little love could turn into Cujo, so please be careful about off leash dog situations, wildlife hiking, bats, or anything creepy like that.

 

 

3)      Indy barfs in the car so be careful. Oh and also, I hear so many horror stories about dogs leaping out the window in a moving car so if you have him in the car with you, will you just please make sure the window is not open too much?

 

Feeding: 
We usually keep a water dish in the kitchen and one in the garage so that if we are in the backyard, he can just dash in and stay hydrated.

Food wise, we have dry food and wet food for Indy. He is supposed to be fed two times a day (breakfast and dinner usually at 7 am and 7 pm) and when he is finished, you should take his food away even if he has a little left. We have been experimenting with wet food vs. dry and combos so let us know if you find out what he likes. He has not been eating a ton for us. Glendale SPCA said sometimes doggies are nervous to be full in a new environment because they don’t want to be sleepy and slow just in case – how sad is that?

We have two kinds of treats. Indy LOVES them – especially the Pupperoni kind. We take one of those sticks in our pocket when we are around him and tear it into little bites when he does something good like sit, stay, off, or shake. 

If you know how to teach dogs not to jump on people – please help!

Also – we give him the kong filled with peanut butter if we are leaving for a big chunk of time. He seems to like it and it keeps him occupied.

 

 Leaving the house:
Indy stays in the garage when we are not there. We leave his crate in the garage so he can climb in there if he wants but he has a bigger space to roam around. I’m nervous about him suffocating like a baby in the backseat of a car, so please turn on the fan and open the window near the house then lock him in because he is strong and smart and might push the door open.

Please triple check the gates are closed when you let Indy in the yard. I have this vision of him escaping and running down to Colorado Blvd. and being hit by a car because out gates don’t close all the way sometimes. I know, I have problems. Regardless of locked gates, please do not leave Indy by himself in the yard because his digging ability is untested and I'm not entirely sure if he could get out if left enough time to explore.

If you need a break and would like to do something non-dog-related,  get some treats and encourage Indy into his crate. He can stay in there for an hour or so. If he wines ignore him but try not to put him in the crate for a punishment. It is supposed to be like a little doggie place of calm, not fear.

Exercise:
Indy needs plenty of exercise. Right now we walk him in the morning for up to 45 minutes and in the evening as well, plus at least one good game of wrestling, tug-of-war, fetch, or chasing per day.

Indy tries to be well-behaved (sometimes). On walks he is great unless he sees another dog or a person he feels like hugging. If you walk east on Las Flores there are several yards with barking dogs. Intense bouts of barking competition will ensue. I am told Indy's wagging tail and not his angry bark is the indicator of his mood. Regardless, it can be difficult to redirect him.

If Indy does not get enough exercise during his walk, he likes to amuse himself by bounding across the yard and then leaping towards your chest in the hopes of knocking you down for some licking. If you are taller than about 5'4, he will bound directly at your genitals, which can be disconcerting. Indy is a Spaniel- Australian Shepard mix, if you take too long to get him out for a walk, he will try to herd you out the door while you are tying your shoes. Being herded feels a bit like being gummed - bites with out teeth. MJC sometimes yells firmly, "NO MOUTHING!"which could eventually work.

If Indy gets too much exercise, as he did on his walk this afternoon, he will let you know that too.
Try to get home before this occurs. Other wise, he will lay on his stomach on a neighbors lawn for just as long as he feels he needs.

Sometimes Indy herds you while you are in the house or in the yard. Try to avoid wearing sashes, belts, shoe laces, or carrying any dangling cords. If Indy feels like herding, try to redirect him using his rope toy.
If he gets something valuable like a shoe or handbag, use a stern voice and say "DROP". This may or may not work. Try to look menacing, that seems to help.

Night time:
Indy sleeps in his crate in the hall. He will be much more comfortable being there if you: a) cover the crate with the pink sheet and b) let him have our t-shirts. We have two he likes to sleep with.
Please do not let him on our bed as we don't want to share it with him every night and he does not seem to know "sometimes".

Fireworks:
I heard on the news that dogs sometimes jump through doors and windows or over gates because they are so scared of fireworks. The image of a dog flinging himself through a plate glass window has been haunting me all afternoon. So I was thinking, if you are out watching fireworks, please do not bring Indy with you. He can stay in the garage, with his crate as an option if he is scared. Turn on the fan so there is a little white noise, and just make sure the windows are closed.


8)      Other things I am scared about: Indy getting into poison; being bitten by a rattlesnake; getting stuck under the house; escaping through the screened windows in the dining room or front door; Indy knocking over a toddler, or even sometimes an adult; melting in the garage; suffocating; being electrocuted because of biting through a power cord; eating a nail or tack; eating the neighbor's cat; not eating at all; Indy barking his brains out and being removed from our property by animal control; getting caught in the electric gate. 

      

      Have a great weekend and thanks again!





II 


3 comments:

drtaxsacto said...

Kelly,

New dog owners are often over protective - new parents too - but this dog sounds so great that maybe the structions are appropriate!

Jon Pyle said...

This looks similar to our first list for Franklin. Eventually, it shrunk significantly.

Now, it's just a few verbal instructions.

You'll get there. Congrats on the dog, by the way.

Tulip said...

I think like you, and NONE of it has ever happened. They say when a dog jumps up on you, you are supposed to knee him firmly in the stomach while looking stern and saying NO firmly. And also I have heard you are supposed to step on his toes.
See you, and Indy, soon.

Blog Archive

Followers