"Girls, do you know what tomorrow is?", Trace asks her twins on Friday night.
A chorus of blond hair, pink cheeks, band-aids and tiny chicklet-shaped teeth erupts back at her. "It's the weeeeeekie!"
The weekie = the weekend.
Too young for school, and fortunate that both parents work primarily from home, the weekie is a curious concept for the girls to delight in.
In fact, I find such a passionate response hilarious because the only thing the weekie means to two-year-old twin girls (as far as I can tell) is the privilege of watching an episode of Wonder Pets on TV.
Having witnessed this privilege on several weekies, it is fairly spectacular. The girls, in their natural habitat, rarely stop moving. But when Wonder Pets come on, they plunk down in the middle of a couch, so squishy and comfortable, it's actually been named, Mellow.
There are four little knees, usually band-aid covered (not through necessity but because of fashion) lined up along the couch, four legs sticking straight out in front of them, and four little blue-green eyes transfixed on the movements of Linny, Tuck and Ming Ming.
I spent my Furlough Friday, as I have all of them but two so far, with Trace and the girls.
Friday was a near perfect day. After signing house docs at MJC's office, I hopped in the car and drove out to Topanga. The girls were napping when I arrived, so Trace and I talked and tried on clothes - I scored two new blouses.
When the girls woke up, I got some cuddles and we played for a little.
I think it was Charli, who decided to whisper a secret in my ear.
"I love you," she shussed into my ear. I pulled away to look at her sweet face, stunned she said she loved me without prompting, I beamed. She smiled back and leaned back in to tell me more secrets, "Me get frozen yogurt?". Char Char certainly knows how to work an auntie.
Then Trace and I had our favorite wraps for lunch and paid $21.00 for an hour-long Chinese reflexology massage at a place in a strip mall in Woodland Hills.
With a little time left, we went to our favorite destination - Topanga Nordstrom Rack.
I got a beautiful Rory Beca silk blouse and a pretty Michael Kors swing jacket. Original retail value of both items was over $500.00.
I paid $35.00.
MJC came after work. The girls always pick MJC to read the Silly Book. His qualifications are strong: cozy lap, silly voices, a willingness to read eight stories if necessary.
Jake's mum is in town, so she joined us for dinner. Chick (as she liked to be called) is a delight (although I can't imagine she'd say the same for me.)
She seemed to want the world to know three things:
1) She doesn't love kids because she's already raised hers for Lord's sake so don't ask her to do it again! (For the record, no one did).
2) Americans sound stupid when they speak. Especially when they say Pasta and Bath.
3) All Americans are sloppy dressers.
Now working, ney! living in Fashion, I must let any reader of THIS blog know, what the woman calling an entire country of people sloppy was wearing.
- Over-sized, lipstick red leather jacket
- Over-sized Prince concert t-shirt
- Chambray button down, un-tucked
- lime green and acid yellow cotton, mid thigh, board shorts
- Amphibious sandals with velcro closures
- Spikey bleach blond hair with some good roots grown in
She could easily be written in as the third character on Ab Fab. She's pretty fabulous.
Saturday, MJC and I went for a walk around the reservoir and had a great chat. I realized, I'd really like to spend less time worrying and more time being excited and that, I am on a pretty good path.
I met Alexis at her studio to look at her new monoprints and eat lunch together.
It was so nice to see her.
Alexis has always been a bad ass. Now she is also a mom.
I showed her this pattern I keep looking at in my journal and she gave me some great ideas about how to start making something out of it.
I left feeling inspired.
MJC and Akilesh picked me up and we looked at a townhouse Aki is thinking about buying in Santa Monica. We had drinks at Library and I got my nails done.
I did not feel like calling Liz and opted instead to get my nails done on my own, so I skipped her nail salon on Main Street and went to the one I always used to go to.
I dozed a little in my spa chair and woke up to a different girl I would have planned to avoid. Diane McTinsey was next to me. We went to college together and were tangentially related through Toxic Michelle. Diane chose to ignore me and I followed suit. I crossed the street back to Library with bubble gum pink fingers and toes.
Aki, MJC and I went to the Crane-Ferris' for pizza and game night. On our way, a drunk girl, climbed into the back of our car and tried to get a ride to the Parlour. We explained that was not where we were going and that WE were not her friends. She sloshed her red party cup and stumbled as she slammed the door and we sped off. Very bizarre.
At the Crane-Ferris' we split into teams to play Cranium. Although we did not finish the game, MJC would want me to tell you, we were the winners.
Later today I will meet up with Lisa for my yoga instruction and will follow-up on why dad sent me a text message at 11pm asking if I was a girl scout.
1 comment:
Loving your descriptions! And your fashion ideas! Much better than "nautical is always in."
You were a brownie AND a girl scout, right?
Post a Comment