Monday, March 2, 2009

Life's Paperwork

It's a little off-putting that in order to buy a house, you have to sign about 26 documents to even submit an offer and to get married and legally change your name, you have to sign (if I remember correctly) two documents. WTF?

MJC and I spent an hour and a half with our real estate agent tonight after work signing all these pages. The funny thing about it is, we are very unlikely to get the house and I am not really in love with it. I am not sure if that is because I turned off my enthusiasm spout to prevent heartbreak or if the house is not that interesting. But either way, it is a fantastic location and the backyard is beautiful.

Worst case scenario I will just set up the Steve McQueen tent we bought Mason last summer in our new backyard and maybe live there.

Best case scenario is that we are getting a really good house in an even better neighborhood for a steal.

And now we wait to find out which life-altering scenario we get.

2 comments:

Tulip said...

Good attitude!

drtaxsacto said...

Steve McQueen tent - what a concept!
When we bought Florence Place they prepared the documents which were done on a typewriter. The Title Company added a prepayment clause which was not the one I had agreed to. When I raised a question about it, they said it was no problem. I said no and tore up the documents. They were grumpy but it was a good object lesson to them that we were signing a set of legal documents and they had to be correct - that afterall was what we were paying them to do for us.

When you get to the final documents, although it is a pain, I urge you and MJC to read all those hundreds of pages of legalese to make sure they are correct.

Blog Archive

Followers