Friday, November 14, 2008

Diagnosis - Swiss Cheese

The body is such an interesting machine. For months and months, I've lamented my skin and assumed it is something I am putting on it's surface that is making it so angry. I was watching Oprah yesterday and Dr. Oz was talking about how the skin is a great mirror into what is happening inside your body.

Mom told me the other night that I ought to go to the doctor, after I told her a hilariously embarrassing tale I've debated about blogging and decided against.

Today, I did visit my doctor and I learned that there are three little cysts on my left ovary causing several symptoms, including potentially, my horrific skin. He showed me a little picture of my ultrasound and as he passed me the black and white photo I held my breath for a second, shocked to discover I was hoping I might be pregnant.

But then he handed over the picture and put it in my hand and said "See, that is your left ovary. Those little dots that look like Swiss Cheese, see them? Those are cysts."
Swiss Cheese as a prognoses is never good.

The only other time I've heard about something looking like Swiss Cheese was when the vet told mom & dad that Molly (our Golden Retriever's) broken leg looked like Swiss Cheese and was therefore, irreparably damaged and she would have to be put down.

I don't think my cheese is serious and I am certain I wont be put down. Although it is difficult to get a straight answer from my Gyno. Dr. P. (which is not short for Pepper). He sounds a lot like a leprechaun. And,like a leprechaun, he seems to be amused by speaking almost exclusively in rhyme and or jest. The last time I visited him, he told me women were designed all wrong and that if it had been left up to him, he thought marsupials had the ideal design for motherhood.

I don't think the cheese is serious, but Dr. P. did say it is caused and or exacerbated by stress.

It completely blows my mind that my body is reacting this way to my current socio-political, environmental and emotional situation by irrupting little warning volcanoes all over my face as if to remind me - Hey! Dummy! When you look in the mirror every morning and you see us, take care of yourself, okay?

3 comments:

drtaxsacto said...

Good idea! - Take care of yourself.

Tulip said...

I read the swiss cheese entry AND the overwhelmed entry. Because internal organs are all inter-related, and related to external stress, I really recommend you tell the leprechaun all of what's going on. You have more stress than three people ought to have at once. (And I am home during the day,too)

Tulip said...

I read the swiss cheese entry AND the overwhelmed entry. Because internal organs are all inter-related, and related to external stress, I really recommend you tell the leprechaun all of what's going on. You have more stress than three people ought to have at once. (And I am home during the day,too)

Blog Archive

Followers