Obama has received some criticism for being a celebrity, being elitist or for being "kind of regal...before the guy is actually elected"
http://drtaxsacto.blogspot.com/2008/08/perspective.html
I STRONGLY believe this criticism is unwarranted and here is why:
Now before responding with just feelings, I decided to look for fact. I headed to youtube to find images of Bush's acceptance of the Republican nomination in 2004. In the video below, there is a clear shot of some regal looking columns behind Bush (before actually being elected) at minute 1:44.
"I am less inclined to vote for a candidate who does not get that."
Now this sounds sassy and I don't mean it to, but I have a guess about who you voted for in 2004 - if I am right, it (a candidate who does not get that) did not dissuade you then.
Obama's acceptance speech took place on the 45th anniversary of Dr. Martin Luther King's I Have a Dream speech. I believe the "regal" look of his acceptance platform was meant to evoke the Lincoln memorial, where this speech took place. As the first Black Presidential nominee, I feel this is an appropriate reference.
The hope and possibility of Obama's campaign comes from the idea that Americans could have zeal FOR a leader instead of enthusiasm AGAINST a candidate. This election represents possibility for me - it will be the first time in my voting history that I have a chance to vote for a candidate instead of being excited to vote against one. There are reasons to be concerned about Obama. However, I do not believe Obama acting regal is one of them.
And one more small point. McCain reportedly owns 10 homes. TEN. That seems a bit more regal than even the most ornate acceptance stage to me. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/08/21/mccain-doesnt-know-how-ma_n_120322.html
3 comments:
7 is the accurate number. None were bought with the help of convicted felon.
Just found out Temple Obama was designed by the same set designer who designs sets for Britney Spears.
Holla that, girl. Actually, I'm a bit dismayed to hear that particular bit of criticism against my man Ba-ROCK-the-vote Obama, because just last night I was saying -- Remember how people hated Al Gore 8 years ago for being "too smart"? Seems like people are OK with Obama being pretty damn smart. Maybe 8 years of total, lethal idiocy cured Americans of wanting someone in office who's no smarter than your average Joe.
On the other hand, maybe not.
Also, I done tagged you on my site. :)
Post a Comment