Sunday, December 23, 2007

Resolutions 2008

I had two revelationettes on my mind today that would be perfect new years resolutions.

On my way to the gym I was thinking about the fact that earlier in the day, I found a little red envelope with my name on it under the driver's seat of my Honda. I opened it and found a Christmas card from the girl who swore she'd hated me since August and who accused me of living in a fantasy land if I thought people actually liked me. Keep in mind, this accusation occurred in a "professional" environment. All I could think of was how I'd repeated over the course of the almost year I'd known her, to myself and others who struggled with her cantankerous personality, just kill her with kindness. She cant hate you if you are only nice. In the middle of her rant I thought "It didn't work." And I asked myself why I'd even tried. I ached over the idea that someone hated me in such close proximity and worried that she would tarnish my reputation. Even more, I worried maybe she was right. Maybe I was living in a fantasy world.
Suddenly, almost a month later, while crossing the street on a Sunday it occurred to me. She was wrong. She did not mean what she'd said. Likely, she probably even regretted it but she does not have the guts to admit she was wrong. So after a rude temper tantrum directed solely at me, she decided just as abruptly to be nice again.
I bigger person would have admitted they were wrong and said sorry, but she is not so big.
The hardest thing I could do would be not to confront it for her and bring it into the light, not to apologize when I don't mean it and not to treat her like crap. The hardest and the best thing to do would be to just let it roll off my back and know that she is a small, sad person without much integrity. Her punishment is not mine to give because she will (and has already) bring it on herself.
My first resolution for this year is to try to take the high road; believe in karma and give up teaching lessons except through my example; and to let things roll off my back more often.

Once I got in the gym and set foot on an elliptical trainer for the first time in months, I felt relieved. Over the last few months I have not felt the motivation to get to the gym as often or the enjoyment once I am there. Today was different.
Sometimes I put such huge goals over my head and then beat myself up when I can't achieve them and give up entirely. Instead of doing that this year, I am going to resolve to exercise every day for a half hour- Doesn't matter how- just has to add up to 30 minutes.
This way, at the end of the year I will have proven to myself that I can be consistent.

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers