Saturday, October 6, 2007

MLE's Sweater Picks

A very busy friend of mine asked me to shop for some fall sweaters for her. This is after having some success finding her a dress to wear to my wedding. I have seen TRK wear a dress once and a few more times in pictures, but she looked amazing at the wedding. I found about 25 options for her because she has a cute little figure and looks like Demi Moore, I felt like she could pull anything off. Still, I had to find things she would get excited about and feel pretty in. She ended up wearing the Calypso Julia dress in a gorgeous sapphire blue. She looked beautiful, but more importantly, she felt pretty. She has already worn in to two weddings in a month so I know she will get her money’s worth, which makes me feel great.

I think the thrill of shopping for me is the hunt. That is part of why shopping online is so much fun just because it broadens your reach. I like the challenge of getting an idea for an ensemble from a magazine or a TV show or a song or a piece of art, and then finding the parts of the idea and figuring out how to make them work together. Although I love fashion, shopping for a friend is almost more satisfying than shopping for myself.

Here are my picks for TRK: First off, I should explain why I went to www.gap.com as a first stop even though I feel the brand is deteriorating beyond belief.

I have a GAP sweater I bought a couple of years ago when I was visiting San Francisco for my birthday. I was walking down Chestnut Street in the Marina and it was bite through your flesh cold. I should mention my birthday is in August and that this inappropriate cold is exactly why I moved to LA.

Anyway, I stopped to buy a sweater just to throw on over my work out clothes and happened upon this oatmeal colored belter wrap sweater which I think was $98. I was horrified that I would be willing to pay that to stop cold and considered returning it after I walked back to the Presidio. But that night, catching a cab to the Mission for dinner, I threw it over a pretty gold Grecian Nicole Miller dress I had on and it looked so chic and effortless and I was (best of all) almost toasty warm. I kept the sweater and nearly three years later I have worn it countless times. It is an absolute staple in summer evenings, fall mornings and winter days. I adore it. Part of the reason I had to buy this sweater is another favorite sweater I had (also from the GAP).

I think it was the prior summer, I had a bunch of random things in the backseat of my car as I often do) and I woke up in the morning to discover my trunk popped open. When I moved around the back of the car to see if anything was missing, I discovered a shattered window on the passenger side. My stereo was gone, but so was a series of precious things not meant for a car thief: a black linen suit (still in its dry cleaning bag), a pair of black beautiful espadrilles (I hardly remember them except that they were still in the box and I had only worn them once- out to dinner the night before and they were in the car because I'd taken them off after they created bleeding blisters on my heels. I paid too much for them.), my computer's power cord, and the worst of all -a cable knit cream colored cardigan with a hood lined with faux fur.

I was heart-broken. I'd worn it nearly every day at some point since I opened it wrapped as a Christmas gift from my mom 6 months before. I still think about that damn sweater. It was so perfect. I always reached for it. MC actually tried to find back-stock at GAP or find it on EBay or Craigslist for me for months because that is how sweet he is. I meanwhile looked accusingly at everyone on the street when I saw them wearing a similar style.




I tried on this Marc by Marc jacket this summer as I thought it might be a suitable replacement, but I was wrong.

So, I went to the GAP website and found three possibilities for TRK. Naturally, given my double happiness GAP sweater history, I envisioned success.
I was interested to find the GAP European Collection: Introducing our Limited Edition European Collection, styles exclusively inspired by and designed in our European studios. Gap's clean, casual look is translated with international flair. There are two extremely cute picks from this collection.

Oddly, I knew nothing about it until I stumbled onto their website to shop for my friend TRK. If lines like these were more effectively marketed maybe GAP would not be in the position they are in. Or maybe I have been under a newlywed rock...



(2) Wool bomber jacket $128 (super cute but obviously not a sweater)






(5)Kohls Simply Vera Wang Marled Cable Sweater Coat pictured>

$59.99


http://www.kohls.com/kohlsStore/landingpages/simplyveraverawang/apparel/PRD~237958/Simply+Vera+Vera+Wang+Marled+Cable+Sweatercoat.jsp It looks really wearable, but obviously fabric and cut would really make or break this sweater. That is the downside of online shopping.


Here is an article on Vera Wang's line at Kohl's (where I never have been but would go to look at her collection) Coincidentally, Target has a bridal line online where you could by a wedding dress. It makes sense, but I still find it odd. I wonder if Vera Wang will have a similar line expansion at Kohl's. http://www.usatoday.com/money/industries/retail/2006-08-24-vera-wang_x.htm


(6) Isaac Mizrahi for Target Shawl Collar Cashmere Sweater $89.99 (TRK) http://www.target.com/

(7)Banana Republic ¾ sleeve cable knit coat $108
(8) BR Silk Blend V Neck Sweater $58 (TRK) TRK would look great in any of the greens and blues (I think she may have opposite colors of me, she might be a winter...not that I know what I am - is that old fashioned to get your colors done?)http://www.bananarepublic.com/browse/category.do?cid=5036


Several picks from Anthropologie -
(9)Anthropologie Lady’s Grace Cardigan $160 http://www.anthropologie.com/
(10)Anthropologie Fond Farwell Blazer $148
(11)Anthropologie Quaint Sweater Shrug $88
(12)Anthropologie Rustled Leaves Cardigan $288


(13)Free People Angel Hooded Boucle Wrap Sweater at Nordstroms $98 (TRK) This one looks very FAME I want to live forever! Love it. http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2951265/0~2376776~2374327~2374334~6002129?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002129&P=1


(14) Michael Michael Kors Belted Cardigan $89.50 (TRK although she does not think she looks good in cream)http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2940925/0~2376776~2374327~2374334~6002129?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002129&P=2


These are under the if MC were to accept a job offer and I were to make responsible financial decisions and then still had extra money left over, THEN I would buy these. The berry colors would likely look like crap with my skin tone but they will look pretty on my friend TRK. (15) Marc by Marc Violet Cardigan – Nordstrom $328 http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2939234/0~2376776~2374327~2374334~6002129?mediumthumbnail=Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002129&P=2



Oh God! and I just had to include this because I think it is so beautiful. When you think about it $348 is not a ton to spend on a jacket you will wear a lot. I thought that GAP sweater was too much when it was 98 bucks but that is when I envisioned just wearing it to solve the immediate chill. If I'd known then that I would wear it (so far I don’t think it would be exaggerating to guess 300 times) I surely would not have balked at the cost. Using my limited math skills, I believe that works out to be $0.32/wear. Marc by Marc pointelle cobweb jacket $348 http://www.shopbop.com/shop/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441806122&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302066330&fm=browse-brand-shopbysize&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=1408474395181057

No comments:

Blog Archive

Followers